Does Mold Need To Be Removed Professionally in NJ?
Many people ask who should do the mold clean up in their home. But there are a few things to consider before answering this question.
- How much mold is growing? – If it’s less than 10 sq2, this shouldn’t be too much work to handle on your own. Larger than 10 sq2 could get messy. You may want to call a professional mold company for this. Someone who can properly identify your mold.
- Has the mold caused structural damage to your home? – If the mold is causing damage to the frame behind your walls, or the subfloor, you will likely need a professional. As your home will require restoration work after the mold is cleaned up.
- What is the source of water causing the mold problem? – If your basement is getting flooded when it rains, or you have waste water or sewage water problems, you will want to contact a professional. The company may need to install a water management system before any mold is cleaned up.
If You Need Your Mold Removed Professionally, Here Are A Few Tips..
- Mold cleanup isn’t something any general contractor should do. Most do not have the right equipment or training.
- A properly licensed company will have certification to show you.
- A quick list of equipment that a licensed company will have: moisture meters, borescope, UV light to track mold proteins, air sampling vacuum (to collect samples), relative humidity indicator, temperature gun to track outside & indoor air, thermal imaging guns & spore counters. There is other generic equipement like ladders, tape, spackle, etc. But a licensed mold company will have equipment specifically for measuring mold & water in a home. Here is a more complete list of equipment used in mold inspections.
- Make sure the company has experience & check their reviews!
Some Tips On Doing Mold Cleanup Yourself…
- Know what you’re dealing with before you get started. This was you can develop a plan & workout any problems you might have missed.
- Check the whole house for water leaks & instrusion. Water normally comes from pipes, gutters, or cracks in your roof, siding or foundation that froze out during the winter. Most new cracks happen during winter but are only discovered during spring or summer. Get prepared!
- Don’t use bleach to kill mold on wood. Bleach will destroy the surface of wood & open up pores. It also reacts with mold to form chlorinated mycotoxins. These chlorinated mycotoxins are more heat stable. Meaning they can’t be cleaned with steam & harder to remove.
- Porous materials like sheetrock, insulation, rugs & aged wood should be thrown out completely.
Wet or Flooded Basements
After a flood, you have to make sure your home is properly treated. Long standing water problems can tank indoor air quality. Your NJ residence can quickly become an incubator for mold, viruses & bacteria.
Living in a home like this can lead to “sick home syndrome”. Since modern homes are more energy efficient, and lock in air more tightly, they will also lock in harmful molds or bacteria.
As enough time passes, this can trigger disease, allergies & corrode the foundation of your home. Which can lead to stuctural failure & costly repairs. This is why it’s important to act quickly after a flood. If you have any questions about mold clean up, testing or basement waterproofing in New Jersey feel free to give us a call. We are on stand by 24/7 to answer all your questions!
If you’re looking for more information on mold testing, visit our page: Mold Testing in New Jersey.